MBSR Facilitation Certificate
We offer a certificate program in Applied MBSR Facilitation that provides comprehensive training in how to facilitate MBSR.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is an empirically-supported 8-week psycho-educational group that teaches mindfulness meditation as a health intervention. Created by Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979, MBSR offers participants the possibility to develop a different relationship to stress resulting from chronic physical and psychological conditions. Research has demonstrated improved physical, psychological, and behavioural outcomes.
Our MBSR certificate program and applicable modules, are recognized as equivalent to those offered by the University of California at San Diego’s Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute, for the purposes of certification.
Level 1: Core MBSR Facilitation Certificate
Certificate Description & Prerequisites
The purpose of the MBSR Facilitation Certificate is to provide learners with a level of training to enable them to offer this modality to the public. It is expected that those taking this program will have a professional clinical designation, have an advanced degree, or obtain explicit prior approval from The Centre.
All participants pursuing the certificate program must:
- Hold a professional clinical designation, have an advanced degree, or obtain explicit prior approval from The Centre (see the How To Apply section below)
- Have a daily mindfulness practice (meditation and/or movement)
- Complete an 8-week MBSR program as a participant
- Participate in a total of 5-7 day silent retreat prior to taking the MBSR Intensive Training & Retreat (Please note that a 7-day silent retreat is ideal while a 5-day silent retreat is sufficient; If you are unable to participate in a 5-7 day silent retreat, The Centre will accept the completion of a 3-day silent retreat as well as a 2-day silent retreat; In exceptional circumstances, we may also accept a 3-day silent retreat combined with the completion of two 1-day silent retreats – please obtain explicit approval from The Centre before pursuing this last option)
How to Apply
Apply for the MBSR Facilitation Certificate Program here and please submit a copy of your CV to email@example.com.
Learn about the research and application of mindfulness. This one-day highly experiential workshop will introduce participants to the origins, principles and practices of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and other mindfulness-based interventions. More…
Train to facilitate MBSR programs with Susan Woods. This teacher training intensive will teach the foundational underpinnings, mindfulness practices and specific exercises that are the framework of the MBSR program. More…
Mentoring in most therapeutic domains is considered essential for competency. Novice MBSR facilitators often require ongoing mentorship for issues that arise during the MBCT group process. More…
University of Toronto Transitional Provisions
Details on the Transitional Provisions
August 17, 2016
The Centre for Mindfulness Studies (“The Centre”) wishes to announce that, effective immediately, our MBCT and MBSR facilitation certificates will be issued solely by The Centre, rather than jointly by The Centre and the Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work at the University of Toronto (FIFSW).
However, those who have begun the MBCT and MBSR facilitation certificate programs may still obtain the joint certificate if they meet the conditions set by FIFSW in its letters regarding MBCT and MBSR (below) and apply for the joint certificate by December 15, 2017.
This change has taken place because FIFSW is no longer offering the AMM-Mind programming and has transferred these programs to the School of Continuing Studies (SCS).
All people who meet FIFSW’s transitional provisions may obtain a joint certificate from FIFSW and The Centre, provided the certificate request is submitted to The Centre by December 15, 2017.
How to Apply for your MBSR Facilitation Certificate
- Once you have completed all modules, please complete the MBSR Facilitation Certificate Request Form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with payment via cash or cheque
To apply to have a course or experience from another institution considered towards the completion of your certificate, please complete the Alternative Module Request Form and mail it to email@example.com along with the required payments.