Mindfulness Core Concepts
Learn about the research and application of mindfulness. This is the first module of our MBSR Facilitation Certificate.
This highly experiential workshop will introduce participants to the origins, principles and practices of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and other mindfulness-based interventions. We will move between didactic and experiential sessions. Participants will gain an understanding of the historical and scientific underpinnings of mindfulness and its application to stress and everyday life.
The initial session will consist of an orientation and overview of mindfulness concepts and origins, and experiential exercises working with the senses. The subsequent sessions will delve deeper into experiencing the body through simple practices, move into exploring thoughts and feelings, and end with a discussion of the applications of mindfulness to daily living and how to learn more about mindfulness.
Participants Will Learn
• How to define mindfulness and explore its theoretical and historical underpinnings
• The contemporary applications of mindfulness in healthcare and other settings
• To experience and reflect on mindfulness practices
• To explore the application of mindfulness practices to managing stress, everyday life and difficult situations
* This course is for continuing professional development only and is not to be taken for assistance with personal concerns such as anxiety, stress, depression or other difficult mind and mood states.
Who Should Attend*
This introductory course is meant for general interest and is most suitable for those interested in the personal and professional applications of mindfulness including healthcare providers, other professionals, and those wishing to teach MBSR or other mindfulness programs. There is no prerequisite for this course.
If you are pursuing the MBSR Facilitation Certificate and you have prior formal mindfulness training, please contact The Centre to see if you can be exempt from completing this first training module.
Continuing Education Credits (CECs)
This 2-credit-per-hour Group Learning program has been certified by the CFPC for up to 12 Mainpro+ credits. It is also approved for up to 6 CECs by the CPA, for up to 6 CECs by the CCPA, and for up to 5.5 CECs by the OACCPP.
Timing: 6 in-class hours