Mindfulness Core Concepts (Online)
Learn about the research and application of mindfulness. This is the first module of our MBSR Facilitation Certificate Program.
This one-day highly experiential workshop will introduce participants to the origins, principles and practices of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) and other mindfulness-based interventions. We will move between didactic and experiential sessions throughout the day. Participants will gain an understanding of the historical and scientific underpinnings of mindfulness and its application to stress and everyday life.
The morning session will consist of an orientation and overview of mindfulness concepts and origins, and experiential exercises working with the senses. The afternoon session will delve deeper into experiencing the body through simple practices, move into exploring thoughts and feelings, and end with a discussion of the applications of mindfulness to daily living and how to learn more about mindfulness.
Participants Will Learn
• How to define mindfulness and give a description of its theoretical underpinnings
• To train the attention to be more present-focused
• To start to apply core mindfulness practices to everyday life and difficult situations
• Resources to learn more about MBSR and other mindfulness-based interventions
Who Should Attend
This introductory course is meant for general interest and is most suitable for those interested in the personal and professional applications of mindfulness including healthcare providers, other professionals, and those wishing to teach MBSR or other mindfulness programs. There is no prerequisite for this course.
If you are pursuing the MBSR Facilitation Certificate and you have prior formal mindfulness training, please contact The Centre to see if you can be exempt from completing this first training module.
This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 12 Mainpro+ credits.
Fee: $335 (as a charity, we do not charge HST) Payment, cancellation and refund policies
Timing: 3-week course, 6 hours
Online Format Requirements
Participation will be via your computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) or mobile device (iPad, iPhone, Android), with interactive audio, video and chat.
Please note this will be a highly interactive web-based program. Your full attention will be required.
This online course requires high-speed Internet access and that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have adequate equipment and internet connection.
- High-speed internet connection
- Video cam (built-in or external)
- Audio microphone (built-in or external)
It is the registrant’s responsibility to complete the required technical tests on the computer and to test the internet connection that s/he will be using throughout the course. For those registrants who plan to participate from the workplace, please note that it might be necessary to involve your IT department/consultant in determining how to meet the following technical requirements.
Please complete all the following steps to successfully join the online course
- Download Zoom (video conference program) by clicking here or by clicking on https://zoom.us/download
- Click here for a PDF on how to install Zoom
- Ensure you have operational headphones/earphones – required to limit feedback
- Test your headphones/earphones with the computer you will be using
- Test your camera and microphone by clicking here or by clicking on https://zoom.us/test