The MBSR practicum, soon to be accredited by The College of Family Physicians of Canada, is the third module of our MBSR Facilitation Certificate Program.
The MBSR Practicum will immerse those interested in teaching the 8-week MBSR program as participants, facilitators and observers. Trainees will take on a variety of roles including teaching, providing and receiving feedback and developing skills of inquiry. Readings and home practice will be an essential part of the program. Relevant background will be provided in the areas of mindfulness, clinical research and mindful movement.
Participants Will Learn
- To learn to deliver the 8-week MBSR program, maintaining fidelity to the protocol;
- To practice guidance and inquiry in teach-backs, practice sessions, and recordings;
- To receive feedback and coaching in guidance, inquiry, session organization, and managing the group;
- To work with various approaches to achieve a deeper understanding of the assumptions, principles, and intentions of the MBSR program; and
- To learn to embody mindfulness during group interactions (discussions and inquiry) and while guiding formal practices and communication exercises.
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for healthcare providers, social service workers and others interested in developing some foundational skills to facilitate the 8-week MBSR program. It is best suited for facilitator trainees who have experience with meditative practices and who have attended an 8-week MBSR group as a participant.
Apply Before Registering
If you have not already been accepted into one of the Centre’s Facilitation Certificate Programs, please apply here. Please note that, while you do not have to intend to complete the certificate training program to enroll in the MBSR Practicum, you do have to apply.
Timing: 35 in-class hours
Fee: Varies based on location and course length
As a charity, we do not charge taxes
Payment, cancellation and refund policies
Learn more about why the Centre added the MBSR Practicum as a core training module.
I took the MBCT practicum course just prior to co-facilitating my first MBCT program. The instruction was excellent, and the facilitator tools and scripts were invaluable. Just as important, the practicum allowed me to build relationships with a valued network of professional contacts, colleagues, and friends that continues to endure almost two years later.